I have been talking to people from long time about what their religious and spiritual belief is and what do they mean by God. So I would like to list out all the kinds of opinions and my thoughts. As with any matter here too people are divided into various stages of maturity, I tried to cover most of the opinions and sections of people but I might have missed some parts.
Since I’m a born Hindu and from India I can more confidently talk about Hinduism. So I give a lot of references of Hinduism.
1. There are many people (Ignorants), who doesn’t know the difference between being religious and being spiritual. The best examples for this kind of people are religious fanatics who think believing in a religion without questioning gets them Nirvana. Other kind of people who come under this category are some group of Atheists who doesn’t know the ABC of Religion and Spirituality. Poor guys think being spiritual means doing rituals 🙂 So a normal conversation about God, Religion, Spirituality with these set of people leaves you frustrated. A considerable portion of people in the world fall under this category.
2. These people (Ignorants with less Ignorance) are the ones who believe that God is an external entity from them and to attain Nirvana there is no other way but to praise the god and do all things god likes. When you have a faith which makes you praise the god you believe in, in someway it makes you think that your god is the only true god. When some one from other faith starts propagating their god around you, believe me it doesn’t end well. Most of the religions around the world fall under this category. These kind of people are the main reason for the restlessness in the society. Either they can be very moral or they can be staunch fundamentalists.
3. The next set of people (Misdirected), who are trying to understand Spirituality but are ending up with confused beliefs. The examples for this kind of people who believe in an external God and at the same time follow people who teach Advaita Vedanta. The people who read Bhagavadgita and consider Lord Krishna as an external entity (Dvaita Vedanta teaches that God and you are two different entities. Funny that, Lord Krishna told that there is nothing but him and him alone!). Go to them and say them they and God are same, you will get a slap. They think very highly of God, that the very thought of them being God is something alien. But one good thing about these section of people are that they can be very moral and more tolerant than the above kind of people.
4. Atheists. These people are no better than Ignorants but only good thing is they question everything. But they are very much biased and always play Devil’s Advocate and reluctant to think of Religion and Spirituality. These kind of people make the society better and vigilant.
5. Agnostics. There can be two kinds of agnostics. One who didn’t have any thought of God and didn’t grew up in a society. The other who doesn’t really care about God, pure materialistic people (Considerable number of the capitalists). Most of the scientists and technological pioneers fall under the section between Being Agnostic and Being Atheistic.
6. Nihilists (Who believe that life is meaningless!) and Advaita Followers (Who believe themselves and God as one and everyone as God, you hear Aham Brahmasmi, Tatvamasi a lot from these people). If you are a normal person you might not even stand these people’s philosophy. These set of people might have gone through a lot of study about God and might have ended up here. Most of the saints like Jesus, Buddha, Sankaracharya fall under this section.
So, we have lots of opinions! So who is true? Which belief is correct? I don’t know. I’m just a confused person still undergoing the travel. I may end up confused or may be I will come to know something.
So, What do you believe in?